Saturday, September 12, 2009

A great game of footy...

I'll come right out and say it now.  I'm an Essendon supporter.  "Go the Dons!"

That being said, Essendon kind of suck a bit at the moment, having to tried to import some of Richmond's winning culture to give them an edge and help create their next premiership.

Anyway, not coming from a traditional football family I've never really gotten into the whole tribalism of AFL, even with the "traditional" rivals for Essendon.  I actually quite like Collingwood, I enjoy watching them play and like their team first structure.  I don't mind Carlton, especially this year and last year, never had much time for them before that.  I don't really like St Kilda (supposedly everybody's second team) and don't really care if they have to wait another 43 years until they actually get a premiership.  

I don't like Port but I do like Adelaide (this year anyway, not really before now).  I don't like the Weagles but I do like Fremantle (don't know why, they suck.  Maybe because the Pav is the best forward in the competition but nobody knows about it because he's always playing in the midfield).  I don't particularly like the Lions, but it's got nothing to do with the 2001 Grand Final, I can't explain it.  I also don't like the Hawks very much.  I don't really like the Bulldogs, although I do like Jason Akermanis.

Anyway, I just saw the Essendon/Adelaide semi final.  What a great game of football!  The second half was fantastic.  As outlined above, I actually like both teams.  Andrew McLeod is one of my favourite players and I really like how both teams play the game.  At first I was thinking I'd like Adelaide to win but with Collingwood close so they weren't disgraced.  Then I decided I didn't care.  I'd be happy for either team to win, I was just there to enjoy the contest.  So I did.  If you want to explain Aussie Rules to someone, show them the second half of that match of football.  No more explanation will be needed.

As for the grannie, obviously the smart money is on Geelong and St Kilda to be there.  Personally I think St Kilda will probably win.  I'd kind of prefer Geelong to win because they're in the position of 1 premiership from 3 years of dominance and I feel sorry for them.

Let's hope it rains so we have a mud fest and something interesting to talk about.

Oh, and a big congratulations to the Pies, great victory!

cheers

harry


No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am the Hiphopopotumus, my lyrics are bottomless......