Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Oh sweet irony...

Angus recently wrote a post describing the joys of post-modern irony.  Just as in southpark, you "can have your cake and eat it too".

So today I read this great little article (opinion piece) in the Age about Facebook and it's supposed evils.  It was good enough for me to go and find it to share with you.  Yes, Facebook enables you to stay at home and not talk to real people, but if you want to stay at home you'll find plenty of excuses, whether it's reading a book, playing computer games, cataloguing your stamp collection or planning to take over the world.

Here's one line I liked, talking about someone refusing to sign up to Facebook...

I met one such person at a party the other week. Every component of her outfit was ironic: the red kimono, the Audrey Hepburn-style kitten heels and the oversized pink-rimmed glasses. I'd put money on her belonging to a craft group in an inner-northern suburb. Had I rifled through her bag, I'm sure I would have found a tatty paperback novel by a mid-century beat poet and some rollie cigarettes.

What's being described above is not joyful irony, watching WWF and listening to Bon Jovi.  It's consciously being different, for the sake of being different.  To borrow another Southpark quote, everyone is non-conforming in the same way.

Facebook is just a website.  It's not the best thing in the world, but it's not exactly evil.  I think some people need to get a life.

cheers

Dr Harry


No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am the Hiphopopotumus, my lyrics are bottomless......