Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Are we doing something wrong here?

I think that generally you might be able to lump me in a group with the "South Park conservatives", those younger people who favour conservative politics from a common sense point of view, so called because of the influence of "South Park" in looking at ways in which our reality is distorted by what goes on around us.

Has anyone seen the South Park episode where the boys are all given Ritalin? Well in the Australian it's reported that thousands of children in Australia, including BABIES have been prescribed anti-depressants, medication that the manufacturers themselves say shouldn't be prescribed for people under the age of 18.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24743413-601,00.html

Now I'm no doctor (although I do play one on TV), but I'm pretty sure that this is not completely the fault of the medical profession. No doubt there's lots of quacks out there who are happy to distribute drugs like candy so they can get free pens and trips to Stradbroke Island, but the real issue at fault is the parents. Who is going to the doctor and saying "I think my baby is depressed, is there anything you can do to help?" Is this code for "I'm a bad parent and I want my baby to sleep all night, even if it's probably extremely damaging for them in the long run"? Or maybe it's code for "I only got this baby as an accessory to go with my Chihuahua and now I need it to have an interesting problem so I can talk about it at cocktail parties"?

Anyway, I think the Chef has the answer.



Cheers

Harry


No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am the Hiphopopotumus, my lyrics are bottomless......