Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Field of Dreams




As those of you who follow How I Met Your Mother (only the most educated, erudite and intelligent of our population of course) may know, one of the very few things that can make Barney show emotion is the movie Field of Dreams.

Well.


I watched it today with my Grade 8 boys class, although they weren't very impressed with the idea at the start. All I can is wow...

If there hadn't been a bunch of grade 8 boys in the room I probably would have cried myself. Ted was quite correct to be critical of Robin for not liking it, there's no more to say.



Now yes, it's schmaltzy crap and totally unbelievable, but the story is so well scripted, directed and acted that you totally accept it and go with it. The only slightly dubious point is right at the end when all the cars turn up, even though the team had already said they were done for the day and would be back tomorrow (giving away most of the ending here, but hey, it will still be powerful when you see it). Now the bit with Kevin Costner's Dad was good, but not that powerful, but when the doctor gives up his dreams to come to help I genuinely had to fight to keep the tears down.

There's not many things that can do that, maybe a few war movies and the like. I think it's the notion of personal sacrifice, consciously giving up something valuable for the sake of others that is what makes men vulnerable. Puppies and cute little kittie cats? Who gives a crap? But this movie, this movie made me emotional in a way that few others have or could.



Now maybe I'm turning into a little bitch, that's quite possible and I'll concede that right now (I think I need a girlfriend to get me back on track!), but this movie is genuinely moving and even if you have a heart of stone it's still well written, directed and acted. I highly recommend that you check it out.

cheers

Harry

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am the Hiphopopotumus, my lyrics are bottomless......